Thanks to some lovely photography by friend Jean Burnett, I have added some new work to my extended gallery page. I’ve also added a new show to the 2017 schedule, the Prairie Arts Festival in Schaumburg on Memorial Day weekend. Now back to the studio to keep building the inventory for the busy season ahead!
I think I’m finally catching on to uploading pictures more successfully! Here is my maple lantern done in the mint glaze. It’s a softer look, less weathered looking than when glazed with the dry matt green. I like this maple leaf shape better than the sugar maple shape because it is more deeply cut. I can’t remember what it’s called but it grows to a medium height in my front yard!
My latest obsession is butter…making containers for butter, that is. I went to a workshop at NCECA in Kansas City and saw a demonstration on stretching a thrown disk into an oval that looked like it would be fun/easy to do. Ha! Fun, definitely, but the challenge has been getting that circle into an even oval that is the appropriate length for a stick of butter. Since clay shrinks significantly and the walls of the cover also take up space, this is requiring major mathematics on my part! (Did you know a stick of butter is 5″ x 1″?) But butter dish #1 was successful. Butter dish number 2 was made in a different way, opening the clay lump into a small ring and also a larger hump in the middle to form the lid walls. When soft leather hard both the little ring and the wall ring are stretched to an oval or rectangle. The ring is attached to a slab to make the dish bottom. Another slab is shaped and attached to the lid walls to make the cover. Dish # 2 also fits the butter. Dishes #3 and 4 are ready for the bisque but I am afraid #3 will require some trimming of the butter stick to fit. I think #3 will end up being the one I keep for me to use!
I should take some pictures of the process…although that’s a bit tricky when I’m covered with clay!
Pottery, I love. Technology not so much. I have just spent over an hour trying to update my website so that my extended gallery shows some of my latest work and was only able to get one to picture to load. Aaaargh! Any hints to working with WordPress and Juicebox would be appreciated!
My new mint glaze is doing some wonderful things over my brown clay, especially where I layer it over some iron oxide stain. The bakers come out satiny smooth inside, but on the outside I sometimes get some glossier areas…love it!
ClaySpace sponsored a 3-piece place setting contest for its members and students last week and I was thrilled to win First Place! The design challenge is adapting a theme to 3 completely different forms. I bumped out the plate rim to accommodate the elephant motif rather than make a row of little elephants…elephants aren’t little animals and I thought it would look silly! Since the elephant areas are not glazed, only finished with red iron oxide, I didn’t want to put elephants in the center of the plate. Surprisingly, food looks wonderful on black…it makes the colors of the food pop!